Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cleaning 101

You know how to make cleaning fun? Get really dirty first.
Alright alright, get your head out of the gutter! This is about some good news and some bad news.

The good news: My bestie in the whole wide world Jenny and her beau Adam are coming down tomorrow! 
Besties for almost a decade :)
The bad news: My house/room is a disaster!!!! (My mom is reading this shaking her head at me).

SO, I decided to clean clean clean! But, what this story really begins with is a cake. Or what should have been a cake....

As I have told you many times before, I love to cook but things NEVER turn out how they are supposed to. They taste good, but look just god-awful! So I was all jazzed about making a yummy cake for dessert today. (The out of the box kind. Don't judge me)

It baked beautifully, and then I had the genius idea to take the cake out of the pan to frost the whole thing! Then began my eight steps to cake disaster recovery.

Step 1: Disaster. As I attempted to flip-twist that sucker out of it's glass prison, it began to crumble right before my eyes. My heart dropped. 

Step 2: Denial. No no, it is fine, I thought, I can just smoosh it all back together. Good as new! 

Step 3: Heartbreak. While Nick was laughing at me, because he told me I shouldn't flip it over in the first place, I was near tears. Sigh. Yet another failed attempt at baking beauty.

Step 4: Anger. I am pretty sure this was the point where I yelled at Nick to STOP laughing! and I might of thrown it that he was a stupid head or poop face, or some benign jab....

Step 5: Mending. Have you ever heard of the expression "Putting a band-aid over a bullet wound"? This was played out in real life as I attempted to frost my crumbly mess of a cake. At this point I knew there was no hope, but I was willing to try anything to make my special little cake shine a wee bit brighter.

Step 6: Laughter. I think around the point where the frosting knife began to take more cake with it than leave actual frosting on the cake was the moment that I burst out into uncontrolable laughter.

Step 7: Hiding the Evidence. I then begin to just cut the crumbly pieces completely away from the cake. But where to put it? Oh yeah, in my belly! Nick and I stuffed our mouthes with all worst-looking bits in order to hide any evidence of a cake disaster from others.

Step 8. Battle Royale. In the midst of dipping chunks of cake straight into our frosting container, I devised a plan. I stuck a finger in and got a big glob of frosting out and slammed it right into Nicks face! MUAHAHAHA! Then the fun began. 

Nick and I, both armed with ample frosting chased each other around the whole house. And let me tell you, if there is one thing I am good at, it is food fighting. While I did walk away with a little frosting here and there, I am proud to say I won the war. Nick was covered in frosting, fully equipped with a frosting mustache. 

I do not remember the last time I got in a food fight, or the last time I laughed so hard. After that, cleaning didn't so bad....

I am beyond blessed to be with someone who can make me laugh and who doesn't mind acting like a five year old sometimes with me.  And I am beyond excited for Jenny and Adam to come down, and to spend the New Years with great people. How lucky am I? And my house is even clean now!

If you learn anything from this post it is this. Here is a little advice, from me to you. 

In order to clean, sometimes you gotta get a little dirty. :)

2 comments:

Mikelle Jade said...

I am so sorry about your cake! You are lucky to have such a fun, spontaneous, boyfriend. It sounds like there is never a dull moment with you two :)

Happy New Years Kai!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

hahaha! I can totally picture in my head all of this cake catastrophe going down! Oh NO! I'm sad about it.

But happy that your friends are coming! Yippee!

Happy New Year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...